Direkt zum Inhalt
x

Oriental Museum - Tagliacozzo (AQ)

The museum was built within the sanctuary of Tagliacozzo, dating back to the sixteenth century and which preserves the icon of the thirteenth-century Madonna of the East, and houses a collection of votive offerings, Byzantine icons, sacred furnishings and coins from the Middle East.
The collections were collected by the Franciscan Father Gabriele Giamberardini, who worked in Egypt from 1950 to 1970 as a teacher of the Oriental Seminary of St. Cyril in Giza and Prefect of Studies in the Mission of the High Egypt, and by Father Tommaso Casale, born in Tagliacozzo on December 15, 1921, a member of the Fraternity of the convent, founder of the museum and died on October 28, 1999.
The first worked in Egypt for about twenty years (from 1950 to 1970) as, among other things, professor of the Oriental seminary of St. Cyril in Giza and Prefect of Studies in the Mission of the High Egypt, and brought to Italy a considerable quantity of archaeological finds, partly fused for conservation, to the sanctuary of Mary SS. but the Orient in Tagliacozzo. 
The second, Father Tommaso Casale, born in Tagliacozzo on December 15, 1921 and died there on October 28, 1999, for many years member of the Fraternity of the convent of the East and passionate founder of the Museum attached, is responsible for the preservation of the collection of archaeological finds, votive offerings, the library of the sanctuary, full of precious sixteenth and other rare volumes. Given the heterogeneity of the material preserved, the absolute lack of information about the origin of the individual pieces, it was difficult, sometimes impossible, to exhibit them following precise logical and chronological coordinates. The museum is attached to the sanctuary of Santa Maria dell'Oriente.

Tel. 0963.3614203 

For more information

Tags

42.079400381421, 13.283135890961