The village of Penne extends over four hills between the valleys of the rivers Tavo and Fino: from the village you can enjoy a panorama of great charm and gaze rests on the surrounding hills, the green woods, on the many olive trees that cover the hills and streams that cross the most low-lying areas. Pre-Roman city, ancient capital of the Italian population of Vestini, known to the Romans as "Pinna Vestinorum", is located at the same distance from the Adriatic Sea and the Gran Sasso of Italy. The use of brick, present in all buildings and in the remains of some floors, has given to Penne the title of "City of the brick".
This village is known above all for its spiritual essence and for its close bond with St. Francis of Assisi: at the entrance of the city, in fact, there is a significant monument dedicated to the Saint, where the first Franciscan church of Abruzzo was built and, in the centre of the town, a plaque commemorates his passage through these streets, on 16th September 1216.
To visit: the Cathedral dedicated to St. Maximus, the Convent of Colleromano, the Church of St. Augustine, the Church of St. Nicholas, which houses inside paintings of great value, the Palazzo Castiglione, eighteenth-century, the Archaeological Museum "Leopardi", the Nature Reserve "Lake Penne".