Skip to main content
x

Atri

Atri, the ancient Hatria Picena, is located on a clayey hill at 442 m. above sea level in the province of Teramo. Many historians claim that Atri took its name from Adranus to whom the Apennine wolf was sacred. In the pre-Roman period it was the capital of the South of Piceno and in 290 B.C. it became the Municipuim Foederatum of Rome, when this decadence Atri had a dark period under the domination of the dukes of Spoleto, of the Franks and of the Count of Loretello. During the war between the papacy and the empire he took part for the Pope and in 1251 Innocent IV restored the communal autonomy and elevated it to diocese. From 1315 there was an uncertain period between Swabians and Angevins, until in 1393 Antonio D'Acquaviva, Count of S. Flaviano, bought it for 35000 ducats from the king of Naples. The period of the Dukes of Acquaviva lasted until 1760, then, from 1670 to 1860 Atri returned to the direct dependence of the King of the Two Sicilies and then passed to the united Italy. Atri has numerous monuments that attest to its history over the centuries. The Cathedral of S.Maria Assunta, dating back to the end of the 12th century, is one of the most famous monuments in Abruzzo and hosts a cycle of frescoes painted from 1450 onwards. The adjoining museum preserves precious relics and splendid is also the Cloister of the thirteenth century. The church of Santa Reparata, joined to the southern side of the Cathedral, is rich in baroque evidence. The other churches are: St. Augustine, St. Andrew, St. John the Baptist, St. Francis, St. Nicholas, St. Clare and the Holy Spirit. Also worth seeing is the Palazzo Ducale degli Acquaviva, now the town hall, dating back to the first half of the fourteenth century, the Municipal Theatre, the Archaeological Museum and the Ethnographic Civic Museum. In addition to the monuments mentioned above, the ancient fountains, caves and true architectures of nature that are the gullies, Atri is certainly worth a visit for all the beauties that it preserves, evidence of a civil and artistic history as rich as ever.

INFO : www.comune.atri.te.it  tel. 085.87911 

 

Provincia: Teramo

CAP: 64032

Prefisso: 085

Altitudine: 442

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.5772704, 13.9724141

The Chapter Museum of Atri was established in 1912 with works from the Cathedral and other churches in the city. Completely renovated in the 60s, the structure of the Museum is now divided into ten rooms, arranged around the upper order of the Cloister of the Cathedral, brick construction on two levels erected in the early '200.

The Civic Didactic Museum of Medieval and Renaissance musical instruments was inaugurated on August 12, 2000. Currently the Museum has five rooms, at the Doge's Palace, with a collection of 52 "reconstructions", where we find instruments used from the eighth century AD to the end of the sixteenth century.

The "Li muri" caves can be reached via a steep flight of steps about 800 meters from Porta Macelli. The entrance is located in the North-West, to reach them you have to take a section of the state road to Silvi; coming from the historical center, in the Carabinieri barracks area, you must take the first road on the right. From there it is very easy to continue alone thanks to the signs. These a

The last museum to be built in Atri in recent years is the "Antonio di Jorio" Museum Archive, opened in 1996. It is located in the hall of the Municipal Theatre and was named after one of the most illustrious musicians of Abruzzo in the twentieth century.

The Museum is located in a complex of eighteenth-century buildings and consists of three rooms: the first is a tribute to the figure and work of Ing. Vincenzo Rosati, director of the ancient School of Arts and Crafts of the Orphanage of Atri and houses numerous archaeological finds recovered by the eminent scholar atriano.