Skip to main content
x

Chieti

One of the oldest cities in Italy, so much so that its historical origins are confused with mythology. Chieti is a centre of considerable artistic and cultural importance. It is in a panoramic position between the Majella mountains and the Adriatic. It was the capital of the Italic population of Marrucini. Later it was a Roman city with the name of Theate, whose signs, such as the Roman Theatre (second half of the second century AD.), the complex of Roman Temple (remains of sacred buildings), the cistern of the ancient Baths, are still visible in the city. It was destroyed by the barbarian waves of the Visigoths and Erule. With the Angevins and above all with the Aragonese, it reached its maximum splendour and was placed at the head of all the Abruzzi with the right to mint one's own coin. The ancient part of the city preserves a remarkable patrimony of civil and religious monuments and noble palaces, among which: the imposing cathedral of San Giustino with important works inside and the bell tower of the late fifteenth century; the sixteenth-century Palazzo del Comune with its late medieval courtyard and column supporting the statue of Achilles (symbol of the city of Chieti); the Palace of Justice and the Palazzo Mezzanotte; Corso Marrucino with the thirteenth-century church of San Francesco della Scarpa. And again: Palazzo De Lellis-Carusi, Palazzo Toppi, Palazzo Zambra, Palazzo De Sanctis-Ricciardone, Palazzo Majo, etc.. On the site of the ancient citadel now stands the Museum of Civitella which houses important exhibits from different periods (Neolithic, Palaeolithic Italic and Roman). In Villa Frigerj, among the gardens of the Villa Comunale, at the National Archaeological Museum of Abruzzo are exhibited valuable Italic and Roman from different parts of the region, including: the Warrior of Capestrano (VI century. B.C.), the small bronze statue of Hercules at rest (3rd century B.C.) found near Sulmona, the three funerary stelae (5th century B.C.) coming from Penna Sant'Andrea, the large statue of Hercules at banquet (1st century B.C.) coming from Alba Fucens. At the Archaeological Museum you can also admire a collection of coins ranging from the sixth century BC to the nineteenth century. But there are still two important art centers in the city: the Museum Constantine Barbella (theatine sculptor of 800) in a wing of the seventeenth-century Palazzo Martinetti-Bianchi, with a heritage of paintings, sculptures and ceramics ranging from 1400 to 1900, and the Diocesan Museum, full of examples of medieval Abruzzo statuary and Baroque altarpieces.

 

Provincia: Chieti

CAP: 66100

Prefisso: 0871

Altitudine: 330

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.347886, 14.1635845

The first nucleus of the exhibition was inaugurated at the "G. d'Annunzio" University in 1994 at Palazzo De Pasquale. Currently, the University Museum, formerly the Museum of the History of Biomedical Sciences, is located in the Palazzo "Arnaldo Mussolini", in the historical centre. In its specificity, it contributes to characterize the "G.

Palazzo de' Mayo is a monumental building of extraordinary value that stands in the historic center of the city of Chieti: a sixteenth- and eighteenth-century building, a splendid example of Baroque architecture in Abruzzo, with important dimensions and considerable architectural impact in the urban and artistic reality of the city. 

The Museum illustrates, through visual effects and environments, the archaeological materials that document the history of the city of Chieti, come to light during excavations on the south-western slopes of the hill, not far from the site occupied in the past by the Civitella stadium.

The museum is housed in the Martinetti-Bianchi building and is named after Costantino Barbella, a 19th century theatine sculptor. The museum exhibits paintings and sculptures that cover a period of time ranging from the fourteenth century to the present day.