Civitella del Tronto
In the high Abruzzo, very close to the Marche region, Civitella del Tronto rises: it has always been a borderland and, in particular, a sentinel time of the Kingdom of Naples between the Kingdom of Naples and the Papal State. The village finds its interest in the fortunate geographical position, combined with the monumental memories of its bright past, and enjoys an enviable glimpse that can put together the view of the Gran Sasso d'Italia and the nearby Adriatic Sea. This is because the village "clings" on a steep rocky crest, more than 600 meters high, which allows you to visually dominate all the surrounding valleys; this was important in the past centuries when Civitella was sentinel of the impassable border of the Kingdom of Naples. The most important monument of national renown is certainly the Spanish Fortress: it is an immense stronghold with a length of half a kilometer and a surface of 25,000 square meters. Built in several stages since the sixteenth century, it is linked to the many episodes of weapons that its defenders supported until 1861 when, the last bourbon bulwark, ceded to the Piedmontese that dismantled it. Today, after long restoration work, it has returned to the past splendor and is visited, along with the adjoining Historical Museum, by thousands of tourists a year. In the historical center, of particular interest, we find three churches, one dedicated to San Lorenzo, one to San Francesco and one to Santa Maria degli Angeli. It should be remembered that part of the town's municipal territory is included in the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park, with a series of beautiful nature itineraries.
INFO : Town Hall tel.0861.918321 – website www.comune.civitelladeltronto.te.it
Fortress tel.320 8424540 – website www.fortezzadicivitella.it