The lake of Casoli is an enchanting basin obtained with the barrier of the crystal clear waters of the Aventino river, in a valley dominated by the rugged Majella massif, whose rocky walls overhang in the water. The banks are sufficiently accessible. Along its banks there are numerous resting areas from which you can admire the south-eastern side of the Majella massif in all its grandeur. The presence of winds is almost constant in the area.
The Bomba Lake is situated in the Sangro Valley, 30 km far from the sea and is 7 km long, 1,5 km large and 36 meters deep. The pond has been created blocking the course of the Sangro River through a dirt floor dam; this was the first example of dam created with this technique in Europe in 1962. Different species of fishes live there and a rich vegetation surrounds the banks of the lake. In its water live many fish species such as chubs, crucian carps, carps, european perches, eels and trouts.
In the heart of the Abruzzo National Park and among the pristine peaks of the Apennines, there is the Lake of Barrea, which overlooks three delightful villages: Barrea, Villetta Barrea and Civitella Alfedena.
Natural reservoir of morainic origin, elliptical in shape, about 150 m long and 200 m wide. It is located at an altitude of 1818 m., northeast of Mount Greco and is the second largest lake in the Apennines. Since 1972, it has been part of the State Nature Reserve Lake Pantaniello. Gammarus Lacustris, a small freshwater crustacean whose origin dates back to the last glaciation, lives in its waters. The only fish species is Tinca. Cars are not allowed to enter the protected area and hunting and fishing are prohibited.
The Campotosto Lake is an artificial reservoir obtained from the barrier of the Fucino stream by means of two dams and the consequent flooding of the peatland region between the Gran Sasso and the Monti della Laga. It is located at an altitude of 1313 metres, has a characteristic "V" shape, has an area of 1400 hectares, a perimeter of 42 km and an average depth of 13 m. It is part of the hydroelectric plants of the Vomano Valley.
The Franciscan presence in the city had to be quite early and linked at first to a small church, Santa Maria extra muros, which a fifteenth-century document says consecrated in 1233. Unfortunately, nothing is visible from this primitive construction: the church was radically rebuilt and dedicated to Saint Francis in the 13th century.
The Hermitage of the Holy Spirit in Majella is the largest and most famous of all the Mother Mountain, a small Monastery built among the rocks. Although it has undergone several transformations over the centuries, it still retains the charm due to its wonderful position in the homonymous valley.
Rock church of the XII/XIII century (rottoes and hermitage) opens at 1,266 m asl at the foot of a cliff that overlooks the Fourth Great, on the slopes of Mount Pizzalto, in front of Colle Riina where Lombard tombs have been found.
Today it is reflected in the clear waters of the reservoir of the same name created in the 1920s with a dam on the Sagittarius. The hermitage consists of a cave, the sacred speco, where the Holy Taumaturge found himself in penance around the year 1000, and the church in front of the portico.
It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone, overlooking the Peligna Valley. Here Pietro Angelerio, future Pope Celestine V, spent much of his life.