In the lower part of the village of Cocullo stands the famous Sanctuary of San Domenico, rebuilt between the late nineteenth and early twentieth century on the site of an older church, which was built in the seventeenth century. It has a rectangular plan with a beautiful Renaissance portal reassembled on its side.
All the mountainous and rural Abruzzo refers to his devotion to the Madonna della Libera, Protector of the Peligna Valley, whose cult developed around an image of the Virgin miraculously found in 1456 and attributed to the liberation of the territory from the plague.
The sanctuary and the convent, built in 1466, stand on a hill in front of the village, a short distance from the road that leads to the center of Civitella. Their foundation is attributed to San Giacomo della Marca; their history is linked to that of the village, not only for religious and cultural aspects, but also for civil and military ones.
The foundation of the Convent according to the legend would be linked to the presence of St. Francis; for centuries it was entrusted to the conventuals who had to abandon it after the suppression of religious orders by the French. In 1847 it was entrusted to the Passionist fathers.
The Sanctuary of San Camillo is located in the city centre, next to the convent he built. Among the undisputed protagonists of the Abruzzo spirituality, he was the founder of the Order of Clerics Regular Ministers of the Sick and is patron of the sick, hospitals, doctors and health workers.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna of Splendour was built on the spot where the Virgin, on April 22, 1550, appeared in a luminous cloud to a peasant named Bertoldino. Also on the hill came a miraculous spring, still alive.
Located at the entrance of the village, it occupies the area where there was a sixteenth-century chapel dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie. Its construction began in 1886 following a prodigious event: during the restoration of the church, a crack had begun to gush from the water that had inexplicably healed a sick child.
The Sanctuary stands on the site of the miraculous apparition of the Virgin. Legend has it that on 11 June 1576 a farmer from Pollutri, reciting the rosary, went to his camp to see the damage of a violent hailstorm. Hearing the sound of the bell announcing Mass, he knelt to pray.
It is situated on the path that connects the two villages of Paganica and Camarda, on the road that from L'Aquila goes up to the Gran Sasso, in a suggestive position inside a gorge. Its construction dates back to the 13th century following the presumed vision of Our Lady of Sorrows with the dead Christ in her womb by a local woman, the shepherdess Maddalena Chiaravalle.
Inside the Shrine of Manoppello is enclosed, in a case, what is recognized as the true Face of Jesus Christ. A legend tells that in 1506 a pilgrim presented himself to the physicist Giacomo Antonio Leonelli and gave him the precious gift.