The Chapter Museum of Atri was established in 1912 with works from the Cathedral and other churches in the city. Completely renovated in the 60s, the structure of the Museum is now divided into ten rooms, arranged around the upper order of the Cloister of the Cathedral, brick construction on two levels erected in the early '200.
The last museum to be built in Atri in recent years is the "Antonio di Jorio" Museum Archive, opened in 1996. It is located in the hall of the Municipal Theatre and was named after one of the most illustrious musicians of Abruzzo in the twentieth century. The institution was possible thanks to the generosity of the daughter of the Master who wanted to donate to the city of Atri his manuscripts, relics, the rich epistolary and the private library.
The "Romualdi" museum, housed in the palace donated by the family of the same name to the municipality of Notaresco, was created to house the finds found in about 70 archaeological sites located in the territory of Notaresco and nearby surroundings. The structure consists of two floors plus a basement. There are Neolithic and Palaeolithic objects, remains of the Italic and Roman period from a Roman villa in Grasciano and other surrounding areas dating back to the period between the first century BC and II AD.
The National Archaeological Museum of Campli, housed in the rooms of the convent annexed to the seventeenth-century Church of St. Francis and 'was inaugurated in 1989. It is a structure of fairly small size, composed as 'four rooms, but able to provide the operator a clear and complete thanks to its approach exclusively educational.
The archaeological museum is housed in the fortified village of Rovere in some medieval rooms recently renovated and located below the fifteenth-century church of St. Peter. Inside it has been organized an archaeological exhibition that documents the various stages of the construction of the village and the castle and allows you to admire the numerous findings recovered. Furthermore, further appropriately restored rooms and a multimedia room are being set up.
The museum is being renovated
The Museum is located in a complex of eighteenth-century buildings and consists of three rooms: the first is a tribute to the figure and work of Ing. Vincenzo Rosati, director of the ancient School of Arts and Crafts of the Orphanage of Atri and houses numerous archaeological finds recovered by the eminent scholar atriano. The second, instead, is dedicated to the Prehistory of the Abruzzo territory. The last room is certainly the most charming thanks to the exhibition of two intact burials dug in the early '900.
The Archaeological Museum of Vastese is located in the Castle of Monteodorisio and exhibits a selection of the most significant manifestations of the material culture of the people who lived in the territory now known as Vastese. The themes and objects are proposed in an essentially chronological itinerary, from prehistory to the middle ages.
The cave has been discovered in 1573 by the military engigneer Francesco de Marchi who penetrated in a natural cave inside the mountain for half kilometer. The cave is equipped with lighting and gangways that allow the visitor to admire the beautiful stalactites and stalagmites. The suggestive pipe organ room takes the name from the sound made by the stalactites when they are moving. There are also two small lakes. The Holy Mary Cave with a chappel ruins is situated at the bottom of underlying rocky side.
Le Grotte del Cavallone sono un complesso di cavità naturali, che, per la selvaggia bellezza e per la maestosità dello scenario, D'Annunzio le prescelse per ambientarvi il secondo atto de "La Figlia di Jorio". Si trovano nel cuore del Parco Nazionale della Majella, a circa 1475 m. di altitudine e sono facilmente raggiungibili mediante una telecabina che conduce dalla SS.84 vicino all'ingresso. Prima di raggiungere l'ingresso vero e proprio della grotta vi è un percorso a piedi di circa 10 minuti, composto da un primo tratto in sterrato e un secondo in scalini.
The Archaeological Museum of Schiavi di Abruzzo is dedicated to one of the most important and best preserved sacred areas of worship used by the Samnites Pentri, the Italic population who built the temples from the second century BC.