Pizzoferrato was established in the municipality in 1752. Perched at 1251 meters, it stands close to a rocky cliff, which dominates the Sangro river valley from the left. It is located on the border between the province of Chieti and the province of L'Aquila. Its territory covers 30.85 square kilometers in an area rich in scrub and bare pastures. The landscape of Pizzoferrato has the characteristics of a mountain center: reserve of oxygen and serenity, it is an environment where flora and fauna are perfectly intact. In fact, many species of mammals and birds still live in the woods. Important is the wealth of sources such as: Fonte Maggiore, Capo Canale, La Ria, Rietta. The territory is also rich in waterways such as the Parello torrent which forms the border between Pizzoferrato and Montenerodomo and flows into the Sangro river. The Pizzoferrato base dates back to the period of the Late Cretaceous period. The village formed in the early Middle Ages, soon became a mountain community of great importance due to its inaccessible position. The historical information is scarce: some ruins of the fortified village and the church of S. Nicola and of the Madonna del Girone, visible on the large cliff above the village, date back to the 10th century. In the following centuries it was assumed that the fief belonged to various families and was ultimately owned by the Monaco family. In the Valle del Sole, upstream of the village, there is a modern tourist center. In a nearby picnic area there is a beautiful overhanging wall where numerous routes for sport climbing have been equipped.