Roman Amphitheater - Teramo
Built at the beginning of the 2nd century AD and, according to the construction technique, it can be placed between the Trajan and the Hadrianic age. Until 1926, the amphitheater of Interamnia, remembered by local scholars since the Renaissance, was traditionally identified with the remains of the nearby theater. The few surviving structures of the amphitheater were partially recognized and explored only in 1937; after drastic demolition of the structures leaning against the monument, which was partly destroyed by the construction of the Duomo and the Seminary.
The structure of the amphitheater had a north-south orientation and was positioned in a strip of land perhaps close to the city walls, partly exploiting a natural relief that had already conditioned the construction of the theater. Just under half of the perimeter ellipse is preserved in the amphitheater, and the ancient floor of the arena must have stood at about -6 m from today's tread floor. The monument, large m73.93 x m56.16, was not the largest of its kind. Its external appearance should not have been very far from how one can still perceive it relative to the surviving parts: the external and internal vestments are in brick work with stone blocks at the openings.
The external facing, kept up to 12 m in height, is made of rings gradually sloping upwards. The upper sector is decorated with pilasters, also in brick. In the wall perimeter there are numerous accesses, of which the eastern one is clearly recognizable, arched on the minor axis, while the southern one, on the major axis, has an opening with three arches side by side. Secondary steps led directly to the steps, of which there are no traces, but which had to be supported by radial walls placed at a distance of m 2 and perhaps connected by vaults. The existence of an external arched façade is to be excluded, since it would have come too close to the theater. It is not known how and by whom the construction of the monument was financed.