Small town located along the road (Statale 17 - the ancient Via della Lana - then Napoleonica) connecting Sulmona (m 405) with the Piano delle Cinquemiglia (1250 m) and the Alto Sangro area. Rocca Pia, called since the twelfth century "Valle Oscura", owes its current name to King Vittorio Emanuele II: in 1860, during one of his passing visits, the inhabitants were asked to change the so sad name of their country. The king decided to dedicate it to his daughter Maria Pia and so, with a decree of 1865, the name was definitively changed to Rocca Pia. At an altitude of 1050 m. above sea level, the town has maintained its original urban layout adapted to the orographic situation, with houses adorned with arcaded arcades and equipped with "vignale", a small external staircase with a covered landing; the fortified part of the village is still today called "Castelluccio" and is located in the area immediately below the hill where there are also the remains of the castle of the XII-XIII century. Next to the ski lifts of Rivisondoli-Montepratello, in summer it is the ideal place for peaceful stays: it has accommodation facilities and is a starting point for magnificent excursions to the Monte Genzana Alto Gizio Regional Nature Reserve and to the peaks and the localities of the Altipiani Maggiori (Rivisondoli-Roccaraso-Pescocostanzo).