Art, Faith and Culture
A mountain that offers breathtaking views and that strongly marks the nature of Abruzzo. But the Apennines is also the mountain that, enclosing this territory, has led it to preserve in itself a huge heritage of art and culture. An ancient culture that has settled over the centuries, a search for faith that man has led for millennia, inspired by the solemnity of these landscapes. Today you can still fully experience this cultural and spiritual dimension in contact with our region, austere and therefore so authentic, among hermitages, churches, castles, villages and cities of art, on a journey of discovery that eventually leads to a more deep with oneself.
Travel Proposals, Itineraries & Ideas
Whether you decide to spend only a weekend or a entire holiday in our region,
here you will find ideas and suggestions on the most fascinating places, activities, villages and paths to discover the most authentic Abruzzo!
Curiosity, suggestions, travel stories: information and news to get to know Abruzzo and the many experiences to be experienced in our wonderful region.
In the Valle Roveto, on a plateau overlooking the wide valley crossed by the river Liri, rises Civita D'Antino.
Localizzazione dei Punti di interesse
The origins of the Benedictine monastery are enveloped in mystery.
The earliest monastic center was founded in the ninth century by order of the emperor Ludwig II and a few elements of this…
The Museum houses the famous collections from the sanctuaries and the Samnite necropolis of Alfedena.
The archaeological museum "F.
It is one of the most spectacular and famous Celestinian Hermitages of Majella.
Built on a hill by the river Mavone, in the homonymous valley, surrounded by trees, the church of Saint John was probably…
The church lies on the cattle-track from L'Aquila to the Adriatic coast.
The MediaMuseum is not simply a collection of memory finds, but a highly suggestive multimedia place, able to link the past…
The collegiate church of Santa Maria del Colle (on the hill), whose main faade overlooks the valley lying below, towers over…
The Civic Didactic Museum of Medieval and Renaissance musical instruments was inaugurated on August 12, 2000.
Casalincontrada, a small town near the Majella National Park, has an extraordinary heritage of raw earth houses…
It rises on Mount Porrara at almost 1300 m asl, on a cliff that makes the building impenetrable on three…
It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone…
The Hermitage of the Holy Spirit in Majella is the largest and most famous of all the Mother Mountain, a…
Also known as the Hermitage of Fra' Nicola, it has a modest appearance and does not show the sacred character…
The shrine is mentioned, first and foremost, in the papal decrees of Lucio III (1183) and Clemente III (1188), then also in a…
The museum, an old idea of the Roccacaramanico Association founded in 1981 with the primary aim of restoring life to the…
The Museum contains more than a thousand objects: most of them date back to the period between the end of the nineteenth…
The MUSPAC has a permanent collection that includes works by international artists such as Joseph Beuys,…
The International Museum of Women in Art -MIDA - is the only one of its kind in Italy and Europe.
Established at the behest of the municipal administration of Città S. Angelo in 1998 (former tobacco factory).
The Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino and Altomedievale is housed in the Ducal Castle of Crecchio. The exposition of the finds is…
The War Museum for Peace, inaugurated in 2001, is located inside the enchanting Martucci Palace, a fortified…
The Tostiano Institute, established in 1983, is an institution of musical commitment and deals with the…
The Museum is housed in an Art Nouveau building belonging to the Paparella Treccia family, to whom we owe the…
The Museum contains machinery, memorabilia, memories, rare and precious objects connected with the ancient art…
The museum is divided into two rooms and three sections: the paleontological room that includes the fossil section and the "…
Inside the A.R.S.S.A.
Torrevecchia Teatina is a delightful village in the province of Chieti, which develops on a hill to the right of the Valley of…
Established in 1976 within the Visitor Centre of the Park, it is a point of reference for the knowledge of the fauna area of…
The Museum is a laboratory where visitors are invited to interact and touch with their own hands the naturalistic and…
The original church was built in the eighth century, upon the tomb of the Syrian Saint Pellegrino, whose relics had been…
- Palazzo de' Mayo is a monumental building of extraordinary value that stands in the historic center of the city of Chieti: a…
The last museum to be built in Atri in recent years is the "Antonio di Jorio" Museum Archive, opened in 1996. It is located in the hall of the Municipal Theatre and was named after one of the most illustrious musicians of Abruzzo in the twentieth century.
The "Federico Spoltore" Museum, recognized by the Abruzzo Region in 2001, documents the cultural and artistic experience of Federico Spoltore. To the furniture and art objects already owned by the Spoltore family, were added the most significant works of the painter who saw the light and worked within those walls.
Naturalistic and Archaeological Museum dedicated to Paolo Barrasso, a well-known biologist who died on the Morrone mountain in 1991; here the most significant aspects of Majella are illustrated, thanks to the naturalistic section, which reproduces the different environments of the Park, and to the archaeological one, which collects finds from different periods.
The origins of the Benedictine monastery are enveloped in mystery.
The earliest monastic center was founded in the ninth century by order of the emperor Ludwig II and a few elements of this original structure were re-used in the monumental reconstruction started in 1176 under the direction of the abbot Leonate.
The monastery of Santo Spirito on Morrone, also called Badia Morronese, is the mother-house of the order of Celestinian Friars and rises at the foot of Monte Morrone, in the surroundings of Sulmona.
The Acerbo Museum houses the most beautiful and rich collection of ceramics of Castelli, the fruit of the passion of Baron Giacomo Acerbo.
The site of Alba Fucens is one of the most important archaeological evidences in the Abruzzi.
Built on the Via Valeria, which led from the Fucino basin to Rome, the town was provided with a right-angled road system when it was founded between the end of the IV and the beginning of the III century B.C.
The Museum is housed in the beautiful rooms of Palazzo Ferri, in Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
Situated on the high Aterno Valley, Amiternum was conquered by the Romans in the third century B.C. and became a prosperous municipium.
The Museum houses the famous collections from the sanctuaries and the Samnite necropolis of Alfedena.
The Museum illustrates, through visual effects and environments, the archaeological materials that document the history of the city of Chieti, come to light during excavations on the south-western slopes of the hill, not far from the site occupied in the past by the Civitella stadium.
The archaeological museum "F. Ferrari", set up on the ground floor of the town hall, was inaugurated in 1999 and houses in six rooms the funerary objects dating from the ninth and third centuries BC found in the necropolis of Còmino.
The building that houses the Civic Archaeological Museum is a container full of memory: from the church dedicated to St. Charles, in the early 1600s, to Palazzo del Tribunale in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The Museum is located in a complex of eighteenth-century buildings and consists of three rooms: the first is a tribute to the figure and work of Ing. Vincenzo Rosati, director of the ancient School of Arts and Crafts of the Orphanage of Atri and houses numerous archaeological finds recovered by the eminent scholar atriano.
The Archaeological Civic Museum of Collelongo, housed since 1985 in Palazzo Botticelli, preserves and exhibits numerous precious finds dating from the sixth century BC to the first century AD found in the Italic-Roman settlement of the nearby valley of Amplero, which consists of an acropolis, a village and two necropoli
The Archaeological Civic Museum "Antonio De Nino", opened in 2005 and housed in a seventeenth-century noble palace, in the medieval village of Corfinio, collects the numerous finds found in the excavation campaigns carried out in the territory of Corfinium, the ancient capital of the Italian Peoples.
The Archaeological Museum of Schiavi di Abruzzo is dedicated to one of the most important and best preserved sacred areas of worship used by the Samnites Pentri, the Italic population who built the temples from the second century BC.
Founded in 1849 as an municipal archaeological museum of Vasto, it is the oldest museum in Abruzzo. Since 1998, is housed on the ground floor of Palazzo D'Avalos and presents a refined and modern exhibition.
The establishment of the Aufidenate Civic Museum dates back to 1898. The first site housed the archaeological material that had been found in the municipal area and its surroundings. In the first half of the twentieth century, the Museum documented the Sannita and Roman civilizations that took place in Alto Sangro. The cataloging of the materia
The building had been for half a century a center of graphic ad artistic production and a meeting place for intellectuals and men of letters such as D'Annunzio, Pirandello, Grazia Deledda, Ada Negri, Guido Gozzano, Umberto Saba, Vincenzo Bucci, Federigo Tozzi, Goffredo Bellonci, Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Giovanni Pascoli, Salvator Gotta and others.
San Vittorino's Catacombs, built on the place where the saint was martyred, lie underneath the church dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel and consist of six rooms dug in the rock, meant to contain the graves of the faithful.
The "Don Domenico Grossi" Museum exhibits a precious collection of objects of sacred art and jewellery. It is housed in the premises of the medieval crypt and, in three rooms, collects the most important pieces from the cathedral from other city churches. The works on display range from the fourteenth century to 1700.
It is one of the most spectacular and famous Celestinian Hermitages of Majella. The building stretches out in a dry landscape, under a rocky ridge that completely covers it, so much so that it camouflages in the rock.
Built on a hill by the river Mavone, in the homonymous valley, surrounded by trees, the church of Saint John was probably founded in the XII century, along with the Benedictine monastery adjoining it, whose ruins bear evidence of its original big size.
Saint Michael the Archangel's church rises in the Medieval central square of Castiglione della Valle.
Founded before the eleventh century and maintained almost intact, Santa Maria a Vico rises in the country, where there was once a temple consecrated to Hercules. The entirely brick faade has a horizontal coping and a stone portal, decorated with the holy lamb and the symbols of the four evangelists.
The church lies on the cattle-track from L'Aquila to the Adriatic coast.
Place of rest and lodging for shepherds and sheep traveling towards the seaside pastures, the church has an imposing Renaissance faade dated 1558.
The ex-cathedral of Campli was declared collegiate in 1395.
The MediaMuseum is not simply a collection of memory finds, but a highly suggestive multimedia place, able to link the past and present with the future of the audiovisual image.
In 1895 the City Administration donated to the artist Basilio Cascella an extensive plot of land, which became the school of graphic design forge of many artists.
Next to the remains of the home of Cardinal Mazzarino, born on 14.07.1602 and died on 9.03.1661, was established in 1970 a House Museum whose rooms display, in addition to documents and books of various kinds relating to the life of the Cardinal, also prints, tapestries and models.
The Civic Museum "Gate of the Earth" collects finds coming from the territory of San Salvo and in particular from the area of the Quadrilateral, object of archaeological investigations since 1997.
The important cultural institution was born as Museum of Sacred Art in fact, in it, have merged all the abandoned finds in the attics of the sacristies and churches of St. John and Paul Martyrs and Our Lady of Grace being part of the artistic-devotional dowry of the ancient churches of Cerchio: first of all the ancient church matrix S. Maria dell'Annunziata vulgarly called within the walls.
The collegiate church of Santa Maria del Colle (on the hill), whose main faade overlooks the valley lying below, towers over the town of Pescocostanzo.
The Civic Didactic Museum of Medieval and Renaissance musical instruments was inaugurated on August 12, 2000. Currently the Museum has five rooms, at the Doge's Palace, with a collection of 52 "reconstructions", where we find instruments used from the eighth century AD to the end of the sixteenth century.
The Cultural Pole of Santa Chiara, located in the former convent of the same name, includes the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Municipal Picture Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, the Diocesan Library.
The Diocesan Museum of Lanciano is one of the most important museums of sacred art in the Abruzzo region.
Opened to the public in December 2003, it is one of the most important sacred art museums in the region and a real treasure trove of works of art. It is located in the large rooms adjacent to the Cathedral of St. Thomas the Apostle, a building of early Christian origin renovated in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Composed of two floors: the lower floor, linked to the Middle Ages, by the architecture, sculptures and frescoes, the upper room, divided into themed rooms, including the jewelry, the picture gallery, the wooden sculpture, the room codes and the room vestments bishop.
Casalincontrada, a small town near the Majella National Park, has an extraordinary heritage of raw earth houses, rural houses built with the technique of the "Mason", a simple mixture of straw, water and earth.
It rises on Mount Porrara at almost 1300 m asl, on a cliff that makes the building impenetrable on three sides. It was probably the first place where Pietro Angeleri lived as a hermit before taking his vows. Here the future Pope Celestine V, once reached Majella, stopped in a cave and began the hermit's life.
It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone, overlooking the Peligna Valley. Here Pietro Angelerio, future Pope Celestine V, spent much of his life.
The Hermitage of the Holy Spirit in Majella is the largest and most famous of all the Mother Mountain, a small Monastery built among the rocks. Although it has undergone several transformations over the centuries, it still retains the charm due to its wonderful position in the homonymous valley.
Also known as the Hermitage of Fra' Nicola, it has a modest appearance and does not show the sacred character of the construction.
The hermitage of Sant'Onofrio is located a few km from the centre of Serramonacesca, in the Majella National Park, at about 725 meters above sea level.
Today it is reflected in the clear waters of the reservoir of the same name created in the 1920s with a dam on the Sagittarius. The hermitage consists of a cave, the sacred speco, where the Holy Taumaturge found himself in penance around the year 1000, and the church in front of the portico.
Rock church of the XII/XIII century (rottoes and hermitage) opens at 1,266 m asl at the foot of a cliff that overlooks the Fourth Great, on the slopes of Mount Pizzalto, in front of Colle Riina where Lombard tombs have been found.
The shrine is mentioned, first and foremost, in the papal decrees of Lucio III (1183) and Clemente III (1188), then also in a papal bull of Onorio III (1223).
The museum, an old idea of the Roccacaramanico Association founded in 1981 with the primary aim of restoring life to the ancient village depopulated by the total emigration of the inhabitants and destined to complete ruin, is in the name of the girls from Albignasego and Saonara (PD), Diana Olivetti and Tamara Gobbo, who spent their holidays in a nearby farm and August 20, 1997
The Museum contains more than a thousand objects: most of them date back to the period between the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth, but some wooden artifacts also date back to the eighteenth century. It summarizes and enhances the peculiar and original aspects of the forestry and pastoral civilization and of the craftsmanship of the Teramo area.
The MUSPAC has a permanent collection that includes works by international artists such as Joseph Beuys, Jannis Kounellis, Fabio Mauri, Mario Merz, Michelangelo Pistoletto, Giulio Paolini and Italian artists of Abruzzo origin (see permanent collection).
The Museum allows visitors to take a trip through the Park's plant diversity and is an original initiative, one of the few of its kind in Italy and Europe.
In the middle Aterno Valley, near the outlaying village of Civita di Bagno, there is the archaeological site of the Medieval Civitas S. Maxim in Comitatu Furconensi.
Gabriele d'Annunzio's childhood home is on the main street of the ancient city of Pescara, and it was contained in a military fortress which was demolished when the poet was a child.
At the edge of the small village of Palombaro, at almost 800 meters above sea level, in a very suggestive naturalistic context within the Majella National Park, is the Grotta Sant' Angelo.
The International Museum of Women in Art -MIDA - is the only one of its kind in Italy and Europe. It is located in the municipality of SCONTRONE, a small village of 200 inhabitants, and has so far supplied 100 works of painting, sculpture and photography by one hundred artists from 35 countries around the world.
Established at the behest of the municipal administration of Città S. Angelo in 1998 (former tobacco factory). Since 2001, the institution has pursued the aim of keeping the pre-existing space open at all times, as a laboratory for experimentation and research, useful for all the possible expressions of contemporary visual art.
Housed in the former Franciscan convent of Santa Maria in Constantinople, the museum houses numerous works from the early Middle Ages to the present day, donated mainly by the citizens of Castelli. The wonderful objects exhibited in the ancient rooms belong to artists from some famous families such as Grue, Gentili, Cappelletti and Fuina.
The Museum of Ceramics of Rapino was founded in December 2003, with the intention of revaluing an ancient art that has carried the name of Rapino around the world, it is located in the ancient convent of San Antonio, an architectural complex dating back to 1645 and consists of different rooms, each characterized by works by different authors, eras and styles, among them, the Museum boasts the p
The Michetti Museum (Mu.Mi.) is located in Piazza San Domenico adjacent to the homonymous building dating back to the first half of the seventeenth century in the heart of the upper district of the city of Francavilla al Mare. The Museum, named after the artist Francesco Paolo Michetti, who lived most of his life in Francavilla from 1873 to 1929, the year of his death, is structured on two leve
The MOM - Museum of the Marsican Bear - housed in a wing of the former convent of St. Anthony in the Municipality of Palena, consists of 5 sections set up with panels, dioramas and a striking reconstruction of the forest at night.
Outlying village of Pretola the monastery of Santo Spirito is the only extant example of Cistercian fortified architecture in the Abruzzi; it was founded by the hermit Placito from Roio who settled in a cave on Monte Circolo and in a short time received by the Counts of Ocre a donation intended for the building of a monastery in the surroundings of Pretola, near-by his former hermitage.
Inaugurated in Pescina on May 1st 2006 and realized in collaboration with the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities, with the Archival Superintendence for Abruzzo and with the State Archives of L'Aquila, the Silone Museum is housed in the premises, renovated in the past to house the Ignazio Silone Study Centre, of the former convent of S
The Chapter Museum of Atri was established in 1912 with works from the Cathedral and other churches in the city. Completely renovated in the 60s, the structure of the Museum is now divided into ten rooms, arranged around the upper order of the Cloister of the Cathedral, brick construction on two levels erected in the early '200.
The Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino and Altomedievale is housed in the Ducal Castle of Crecchio. The exposition of the finds is articulated on two floors of the Castle and collects exceptional finds that have allowed to reconstruct the civilization of the Byzantine Abruzzo. Two rooms on the first floor host a permanent exhibition entitled "Etruscans in Abruzzo". On the second floor, there are nume
The War Museum for Peace, inaugurated in 2001, is located inside the enchanting Martucci Palace, a fortified building of the seventeenth century, transformed into a noble residence during the eighteenth century.
The Castle of Nocciano, exhibition center and cultural production, opens to different fields of expression: from visual arts to literature, from theater to cinema, music to new technologies. A small kingdom of images, sounds and words, his activity revolves around the Permanent Exhibition of Contemporary Artists of Abruzzo (MARCA).
The Tostiano Institute, established in 1983, is an institution of musical commitment and deals with the dissemination of the life and works of the composer Francesco Paolo Tosti (Ortona, April 9, 1846 - Rome, December 2, 1916), other musicians from Abruzzo, and more generally vocal chamber music and other areas of musical culture.
The Museum documents the dramatic events of the war in 1943, which earned the city of Ortona the award of the Gold Medal for Civil Valor. It was inaugurated on 6 May 2002 with the intervention of the Canadian Ambassador. The Museum is dedicated to the memory of the 1314 civilian victims and to the many Canadian and German soldiers who died during the Battle of Hortona.
The Museum is housed in an Art Nouveau building belonging to the Paparella Treccia family, to whom we owe the creation of this collection, which originates from the passion of Professor Raffaele Mattarella Treccia and his wife Margherita.
The museum is housed in the Martinetti-Bianchi building and is named after Costantino Barbella, a 19th century theatine sculptor. The museum exhibits paintings and sculptures that cover a period of time ranging from the fourteenth century to the present day.
The Museum contains machinery, memorabilia, memories, rare and precious objects connected with the ancient art of the production of sugared almonds in Sulmona.
Palazzo Fanzago (1626-1642), so called in reference to its designer Cosimo Fanzago (from Bergamo), was intended to house the monastery of the Poor Clares of S. Scolastica. It is the most interesting public building, characterized by six large baroque niches (fake windows) that alternate with a closed and broken crown gable on the main facade, overlooking the Town Hall Square.
The museum is divided into two rooms and three sections: the paleontological room that includes the fossil section and the "man" section and the room of the ambers.
The Museum of Sacred Art of Marsica, which is located in the castle Piccolomini of Celano, was created in collaboration with the Diocese of Mars, to exhibit, protect and enhance the artistic heritage of Marsica.
The museum of modern art "Vittoria Colonna" in Pescara, inaugurated with the exhibition dedicated to Chagall, is housed in an architectural complex originally designed by the architect Eugenio Montuori in the 50s, and now completely renovated and technologically adapted to the new exhibition functions by the architect Gaetano Colleluori.
Inside the A.R.S.S.A. headquarters in the city of Avezzano is the Casino of Caccia Torlonia, which today houses the permanent museum of peasant culture. The tools of hard work and peasant industriousness have found their ideal place in an environment that in history has been the exclusive prerogative of the nobility.
The museum is housed in the ancient "Palazzo De Gregoris"; here are exposed about 300 objects that testify the agricultural and artisan activity of Morro D'Oro (TE) for over two centuries. In the various rooms, arranged on three floors, are preserved agricultural tools, objects and household furnishings, tools for woodworking and weaving.
In 2004 was inaugurated the Museum of Popular Traditions, located in the town hall, named after Prof. Alfonso M. Nola, famous anthropologist, who died in 1997, honorary citizen of Cocullo for his long attendance and studies conducted on the traditional Feast of San Domenico - Rite of the Serpari.
Torrevecchia Teatina is a delightful village in the province of Chieti, which develops on a hill to the right of the Valley of Pescara, a few steps from the sea and mountains. The ancient village is dominated by the Palazzo dei Baroni Valignani, a late eighteenth century structure built on the model of Villa d'Este in Tivoli.
Established in 1976 within the Visitor Centre of the Park, it is a point of reference for the knowledge of the fauna area of the wolf. It illustrates the biological characteristics of this species, its living conditions in relation to the climate of the different seasons, the history of its difficult relationship with man.
Important ethnographic collection including the costumes of various towns of Abruzzo, products of artistic craftsmanship, including ceramics of Castelli, ex-voto, tools and tools for domestic use and for the work of sheep-farming.
Campli's National Archaeological Museum is situated in the ancient convent of Saint Francis (XIII century). It preserves and exhibits the finds from the prehistoric necropolis in the site of Campovalano. Made up of four sections, the material on display narrates the historical phases of the area, from the earliest settlement of the Picenians, dated to the XIV century B.C.
The National Archaeological Museum of Campli, housed in the rooms of the convent annexed to the seventeenth-century Church of St. Francis and 'was inaugurated in 1989. It is a structure of fairly small size, composed as 'four rooms, but able to provide the operator a clear and complete thanks to its approach exclusively educational.
The National Museum of Abruzzo, MUNDA, awaiting the restoration of the 16th century Castle, reopened its doors at the temporary headquarters of the former slaughterhouse of L'Aquila in Borgo Rivera in front of the monumental Fountain of 99 Spouts.
The Museum is a laboratory where visitors are invited to interact and touch with their own hands the naturalistic and archaeological finds that tell the history of the Majella territory and highlight its floro-faunal characteristics.
Situated in the ancient Amorotti Castle, it retraces the various phases of oil production, the primary wealth of the Vestino territory, showing tools and machinery from ancient times to the present day. The Museum is closed on Mondays in summer, while in winter it is open only on Saturdays and Sundays.
The original church was built in the eighth century, upon the tomb of the Syrian Saint Pellegrino, whose relics had been brought to Bominaco between the third and the fourth century. The present structure is the result of a thirteenth-century reconstruction, which replaced the former church.
The Picture Gallery is located in the 16th century Palazzo Farnese and houses works by Michele Cascella (1892-1989), a native of Ortona, his brother Thomas (1890-1968) and his father Basil (1860-1950). Michele Cascella has one of the most important collections (53 works) documenting more than eighty years of activity of the painter
The Pinacoteca Civica is housed in a neoclassical building located in the Villa Comunale. Already the seat of the Provincial Economic Society, it was then purchased by the Municipality and in 1930 adapted to house a Museum. Rebuilt in 1958 and 1979, it was finally renovated in 1996.
It is a significant set of paintings fired by Theophilus Patini to form the core of the Municipal Art Gallery, which, - thanks to the insights and commitment lavished in the late eighties by the Mayor Ing. Syro Piero Gargano and the decisive operations conducted with ancient passion for art by the Mayor Adv.
In the quarter called Terra Nuova (New Land), on the top of the built area of the town, there is a little church consecrated to Saint Antony the Abbot, which in the fourteenth-century was certainly adjoined to a Hospitaller center of the order of the hermit Saint.
The Cistercian Abbey of Arabona was most probably founded when, in the year 1197, Gentile and Manerio of Palearia bestowed a donation on the monk Pietro from Sant'Anastasio alle Acque Salvie and on Bartolomeo, procurator of the church of Santa Maria in Monte Vitulo. The golden age of the eleventh and twelfth centuries is followed by years of crisis, which hindered from accomplishing the area.
Founded in the ninth century on a slope by the right bank of the river Vomano, the church was part of a Benedictine monastery under the jurisdiction of San Clemente in Casauria and was built by order of Ermengarde, Emperor Ludwig's daughter. Thanks to a partial restoration carried out in 1926, the building appears as it looked like when it was built in the XII century.
The church rises on the main square of the town and was built at the end of the sixteenth century (the portal is dated 1601), reusing parts (the entrance staircase, two columns and a stone pulpit) of the ancient Benedictine San Salvatore's Abbey, situated in the surroundings of Castelli.
San Giovanni in Venere Abbey, founded on the ruins of a Roman temple consecrated to Venus, was re-built with the addition of a monastery in1050 by order of Trasmondo I. The abbot Oderisio II gave it its present aspect in 1165 and provided it with a magnificent portal on the eastern side decorated with precious bas-reliefs.