Cagnano Amiterno at 841 m above sea level, 25 km from L'Aquila, is in the upper Velino valley. The municipality is part of the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park. The original settlement around the parish church of San Cosimo, was already a castle before the 12th century. The toponym derives from the Latin staff Camnius. In 1864 the town assumed the specification of Amiterno from the name of the Sabine-Roman city located not far from its borders. Municipality formed by several fractions: Cagnano, S. Giovanni, Fiugni, Corruccioni, Termine, has an economy based essentially on agricultural and zootechnical activities. The territory of Cagnano Amiterno presents a rather tormented morphology. It is in fact an articulated mountain area characterized by deep valleys dug by the torrents that flow into the river Aterno. To visit: the church of San Cosimo (or Cosma, before the 12th century), the church of San Sebastiano a Collicello (16th century), the church of San Giovanni (16th century) and Santa Maria (17th century) at San Giovanni, the Castello di Cascina (remains, 12th century), the fortified Dragonetti farmhouse in Cascina (17th century). The places are suitable for interesting excursions to: Piano di Cascina, Piano di Palarzano, Piano di Santo Nunzio, Grotta di Zerrante al Termine. The mountainous mountainous climbs are: Colle le Cese (1529 m), Monte Pizzaro (1476 m), Monte Gabbia (1504 m), Monte le Serre (1097 m), Pizzo del Monte (1263 m). The Altipiano di Cascina with its sources and swallows is remarkable and little known. It is surrounded by a natural amphitheater of hazel, beech, hornbeam, maple and ornello woods. In the thirteenth century Cagnano was among the founding castles of L'Aquila. Currently it preserves interesting artistic and historical motifs. In the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie there is a valuable cross from 1564.