The Museo dell'Abruzzo Bizantino and Altomedievale is housed in the Ducal Castle of Crecchio. The exposition of the finds is articulated on two floors of the Castle and collects exceptional finds that have allowed to reconstruct the civilization of the Byzantine Abruzzo. Two rooms on the first floor host a permanent exhibition entitled "Etruscans in Abruzzo". On the second floor, there are numerous finds found in the excavations carried out in the territory, which have brought to light the remains of a Byzantine settlement used between the sixth and seventh centuries AD.
Palazzo Fanzago (1626-1642), so called in reference to its designer Cosimo Fanzago (from Bergamo), was intended to house the monastery of the Poor Clares of S. Scolastica. It is the most interesting public building, characterized by six large baroque niches (fake windows) that alternate with a closed and broken crown gable on the main facade, overlooking the Town Hall Square. Remarkable wooden shelves in the form of winged dragons (the invention of which can be attributed to Norberto Cicco, while the carving work to Palmerio Grasso) support the eaves.
Established in 1976 within the Visitor Centre of the Park, it is a point of reference for the knowledge of the fauna area of the wolf. It illustrates the biological characteristics of this species, its living conditions in relation to the climate of the different seasons, the history of its difficult relationship with man. A visit to the museum offers an opportunity to re-evaluate the role of an animal considered by the communities of the mountain as an irreducible enemy of shepherds and flocks.
The Wolf Museum in Arsita is an information and awareness-raising space aimed above all at the younger generation. Thanks to effective explanatory panels and multimedia tools, the Museum allows the visitor to discover new and surprising aspects of): The Wolf Museum in Arsita is a space for information and awareness aimed especially at the younger generation. Thanks to effective explanatory panels and multimedia tools, the Museum allows visitors to discover new and surprising aspects of the relationship between man and the wolf.
The Museum allows visitors to take a trip through the Park's plant diversity and is an original initiative, one of the few of its kind in Italy and Europe. Built in an underground room of the convent of San Colombo, the museum was conceived with the aim of illustrating, in a simple but rigorous way, the great richness and diversity of the plants that grow in the territory of the Park, the factors and causes that determined it, as well as the importance of preserving and safeguarding this immense biological heritage.
The "Don Domenico Grossi" Museum exhibits a precious collection of objects of sacred art and jewellery. It is housed in the premises of the medieval crypt and, in three rooms, collects the most important pieces from the cathedral from other city churches. The works on display range from the fourteenth century to 1700.
The Abruzzese - Molise and Transhumance and Costume Museum preserves numerous testimonies of Abruzzo popular culture, with particular attention to traditional clothing. In fact, various 19th century female dresses are on display, complete with accessories from Scanno, Sulmona, Pettorano, Introdacqua, etc. A collection of hundreds of period prints, some of which can be seen here, complete the documentation. Finally, of importance is a large nativity scene of remarkable quality created by Enzo Mosca from Sulmona.
The MediaMuseum is not simply a collection of memory finds, but a highly suggestive multimedia place, able to link the past and present with the future of the audiovisual image. It is therefore a pulsating centre of activity and a living Museum, a place of multimedia confrontation between the interpretation and the seduction of the show, between active knowledge and the passions of the cinematographic, theatrical and television imagery.
The structure hosts an interactive museum on Abruzzo Chamois. Didactic-informative panels illustrate the vicissitudes of the animal, which disappeared from Gran Sasso over 100 years ago, and document the phases of the reintroduction project. The complex operation that has brought back the splendid ungulate on the mountains of the Park has been strengthened by the creation of the faunal area, next to the Golden Calf Falls, of about four hectares that houses several specimens.
The museum is divided into two rooms and three sections: the paleontological room that includes the fossil section and the "man" section and the room of the ambers. the paleontological room, after an introductory part on the relationship man-fossil and on the slow affirmation of paleontology as science, offers a general picture of the birth and the evolution of the life in the sea, cradle primigenia of every organism. Several hundred fossils are on display, all original and belonging to the main animal and plant groups, illustrating the history of the last 500 million years of our planet.