Skip to main content
x
Tempio Italico di Castel Di Ieri (Aq)

The archaeological site, excavated starting from 1987, hosts a well-preserved temple (temple A).
The temple was presumably built in the II century b.C., on a preexisting construction in raw earth, The building is Italic st/le and presents a pronaos and a cell, divided in three equal areas, probably intended for fhe veneration of three different gods. The floor is a mosaic and in the central cell there is an inscription,

Santuario di Ercole Curino - Sulmona (AQ)

The temple dedicated to "Ercule Curino" rises on a sacred area frequented uninterruptedly by pagans (the earliest evidences are rock-paintings discovered in a few caves at the foot of Monte Morrone) and by Christians, who occupied the area above, where there is the Celestinian hermitage of Sant'Onofrio. Situated on the main cattle-track that connects L'Aquila to Foggia, since its foundation in the II-I century B.C the temple had given hospitality to shepherds and sheep looking for Hercules's protection. The structure develops on two levels: a lower terrace and an upper one.

Alba Fucens - Massa d'Albe (AQ)

The site of Alba Fucens is one of the most important archaeological evidences in the Abruzzi.
Built on the Via Valeria, which led from the Fucino basin to Rome, the town was provided with a right-angled road system when it was founded between the end of the IV and the beginning of the III century B.C.
The excavations, started in 1949, have brought to light the calcareous defenses, the four entrance gates of the town, the forum, the basilica, the macellum, the laconicum, a temple dedicated to Hercules, the theater and the amphitheater.

Forconium - Civita di Bagno (Aq)

In the middle Aterno Valley, near the outlaying village of Civita di Bagno, there is the archaeological site of the Medieval Civitas S. Maxim in Comitatu Furconensi.

Amiternum - L'Aquila

Situated on the high Aterno Valley, Amiternum was conquered by the Romans in the third century B.C. and became a prosperous municipium.

Catacombe di San Vittorino (Aq)

San Vittorino's Catacombs, built on the place where the saint was martyred, lie underneath the church dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel and consist of six rooms dug in the rock, meant to contain the graves of the faithful. The main room contains the martyr's tomb, erected in the V century by order of the bishop Quodvultdeus who had a marble shrine built with materials from the archaeological site of Amiternum and contemporary marble carvings.

L.T. 04-02-2021
Santuario e Museo di Maria SS. dell’Oriente - Tagliacozzo (AQ)

The sanctuary, for centuries a pilgrimage destination, is situated in the surroundings of Tagliacozzo.

Attested already in the XVI century, it preserves the thirteenth-century image of the Madonna from the Orient, which is told to have been transferred here from Ravenna, where it had been brought after escaping the iconoclastic persecution in Byzantium. The sanctuary contains also an Oriental Museum, which exhibits votive offerings, Byzantine icons, sacred arrays and coins form the Middle East.

L.T. 03-02-2021
 
Santuario della Scala Santa - Campli (TE)

Pope Clement XIV with a brief dated 1772 granted the Holy Staircase in Campli the same privilege of the Roman one, that is to say the authorization to confer the plenary indulgence to those who had ascended it.

Chiesa Santa Maria in Platea -Campli (TE)

The ex-cathedral of Campli was declared collegiate in 1395.

Outside it results from several interventions that followed one another from the XIV century up to the restoration subsequent to the earthquake of 1703. The plain faade, adorned with niches and pillars fitted in the walls on two levels, dates back to that period: Giovanni Fontana from Penne restored it between 1790 and 1793.

Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo - Colledara (Te)

Saint Michael the Archangel's church rises in the Medieval central square of Castiglione della Valle.

Subscribe to