The church rises on the main square of the town and was built at the end of the sixteenth century (the portal is dated 1601), reusing parts (the entrance staircase, two columns and a stone pulpit) of the ancient Benedictine San Salvatore's Abbey, situated in the surroundings of Castelli. On the faade it is possible to see a stone tile representing a griffin, the only extant part of the pulpit, which was originally located before the faade and then removed and took to pieces and set inside the church. It is carved with images of the evangelists and their symbols.
The church of San Pietro ad Oratorium, put under the jurisdiction of the wealthy Abbey of San Vincenzo al Volturno in Isernia, was founded in the eighth century by order of King Desiderius and entirely re-built in the twelfth century in Romanic style. The plan of the church consists of a nave and two aisles divided by two rows of round arches with three extrados apses; the faade, made up of regular stone blocks, is the original one as far as the lateral naves and has a big portal decorated with flowers and spirals.
The original church was built in the eighth century, upon the tomb of the Syrian Saint Pellegrino, whose relics had been brought to Bominaco between the third and the fourth century. The present structure is the result of a thirteenth-century reconstruction, which replaced the former church.
The building has three entrances: the main one, provided with a pronaos, dates back to the XVIII century; the others are respectively on the back and on one side.
The building had been for half a century a center of graphic ad artistic production and a meeting place for intellectuals and men of letters such as D'Annunzio, Pirandello, Grazia Deledda, Ada Negri, Guido Gozzano, Umberto Saba, Vincenzo Bucci, Federigo Tozzi, Goffredo Bellonci, Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, Giovanni Pascoli, Salvator Gotta and others. In 1966 Basilio Cascella bequeathed it to the Town of Pescara, which in 1975 inaugurated there a museum dedicated to the artist.
Gabriele d'Annunzio's childhood home is on the main street of the ancient city of Pescara, and it was contained in a military fortress which was demolished when the poet was a child.
It was declared National Monument in 1927 with a Mussolini's decree, urged by d'Annunzio himself to ensure his childhood home under State protection. In 1958 the building became State Propriety and subsequently it was put under the protection of Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities.
Campli's National Archaeological Museum is situated in the ancient convent of Saint Francis (XIII century). It preserves and exhibits the finds from the prehistoric necropolis in the site of Campovalano. Made up of four sections, the material on display narrates the historical phases of the area, from the earliest settlement of the Picenians, dated to the XIV century B.C. to the period between the tenth and the first century B.C., when the site was used as a burial place. The most precious finds are undoubtedly the ones dating back to the seventh and sixth century, a real golden age.
In ancient times considered sacred and dedicated to Jupiter, the Bosco di Sant'Antonio is one of the most beautiful beech woods in Abruzzo. It extends for 17 hectares between the ridges of Monte Pizzalto and Monte Rotella. It offers an incredible scenery of secular beech trees with bizarre shapes. They also are in the wood: field maples, wild pear trees, cherry trees, black hornbeam trees and yew trees.
In Pacentro, the Majella National Park has created the new wildlife area of the Apennine chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica ornata). It is a fundamental step in the path of conservation of this species, symbol of the Italian fauna, even more relevant because the project was carried out in the Morrone Mountains thus giving new impetus to an idea of territorial development, centered on the enhancement and recovery of the environmental resources in this important area of the Park.
The territory of the reserve, of about 800 hectares, extends in the municipality of Castiglione Messer Marino and is divided into three parts: the white fir forest, a natural continuation of the Rosello one, the beech forest and grazing areas. The forest is characterized by white firs, beech, maple, yew, linden, common ash. The grazing is crossed by the "Ateleta-Biferno" sheep track. The fauna is particularly rich in species from small birds to birds of prey, from hoofed mammals to mustelids and reptiles. It is easy to observe the wild cat, the deer, the roe deer and the wolf.
Established in 1992, it is located about one thousand meters above sea level, on the border with Molise region. The 211 hectare forest, crossed by the Turcano torrent, a tributary of the Sangro river, forms the best preserved nucleus of silver firs in Italy. The beechwood preserves the tallest spontaneous tree in Italy: it is a white fir that reaches 47 m. in height! The "giant" is not alone, surrounded by hundreds of ancient and majestic specimens that exceed 40 meters!