Palazzo Fanzago (1626-1642), so called in reference to its designer Cosimo Fanzago (from Bergamo), was intended to house the monastery of the Poor Clares of S. Scolastica. It is the most interesting public building, characterized by six large baroque niches (fake windows) that alternate with a closed and broken crown gable on the main facade, overlooking the Town Hall Square. Remarkable wooden shelves in the form of winged dragons (the invention of which can be attributed to Norberto Cicco, while the carving work to Palmerio Grasso) support the eaves.
Established in 1976 within the Visitor Centre of the Park, it is a point of reference for the knowledge of the fauna area of the wolf. It illustrates the biological characteristics of this species, its living conditions in relation to the climate of the different seasons, the history of its difficult relationship with man. A visit to the museum offers an opportunity to re-evaluate the role of an animal considered by the communities of the mountain as an irreducible enemy of shepherds and flocks.
The Museum allows visitors to take a trip through the Park's plant diversity and is an original initiative, one of the few of its kind in Italy and Europe. Built in an underground room of the convent of San Colombo, the museum was conceived with the aim of illustrating, in a simple but rigorous way, the great richness and diversity of the plants that grow in the territory of the Park, the factors and causes that determined it, as well as the importance of preserving and safeguarding this immense biological heritage.
The "Don Domenico Grossi" Museum exhibits a precious collection of objects of sacred art and jewellery. It is housed in the premises of the medieval crypt and, in three rooms, collects the most important pieces from the cathedral from other city churches. The works on display range from the fourteenth century to 1700.
The Abruzzese - Molise and Transhumance and Costume Museum preserves numerous testimonies of Abruzzo popular culture, with particular attention to traditional clothing. In fact, various 19th century female dresses are on display, complete with accessories from Scanno, Sulmona, Pettorano, Introdacqua, etc. A collection of hundreds of period prints, some of which can be seen here, complete the documentation. Finally, of importance is a large nativity scene of remarkable quality created by Enzo Mosca from Sulmona.
The MediaMuseum is not simply a collection of memory finds, but a highly suggestive multimedia place, able to link the past and present with the future of the audiovisual image. It is therefore a pulsating centre of activity and a living Museum, a place of multimedia confrontation between the interpretation and the seduction of the show, between active knowledge and the passions of the cinematographic, theatrical and television imagery.
The museum is divided into two rooms and three sections: the paleontological room that includes the fossil section and the "man" section and the room of the ambers. the paleontological room, after an introductory part on the relationship man-fossil and on the slow affirmation of paleontology as science, offers a general picture of the birth and the evolution of the life in the sea, cradle primigenia of every organism. Several hundred fossils are on display, all original and belonging to the main animal and plant groups, illustrating the history of the last 500 million years of our planet.
The continuous search for its cultural roots has favoured the creation of a small but rich museum of ancient trades in Guilmi, a small town in the Vasto hinterland. The museum wants to tell the story of how the Guilmesi lived in the past, a story told through real objects that seem to have come out of books of ancient history. The objects on display in the permanent exhibition all come from the families of Guilm. The ambitious aim of the Museum is to preserve traditions as cultural roots of the territory, enhance them and make them known especially to young people.
The Museum of Sacred Art of Marsica, which is located in the castle Piccolomini of Celano, was created in collaboration with the Diocese of Mars, to exhibit, protect and enhance the artistic heritage of Marsica. The museum collection consists of works of art previously exhibited in the National Museum of L'Aquila and works from the Museum of Palazzo Venezia in Rome, where they had been transferred following the earthquake of 1915; the Museum also included those artistic goods that did not enjoy the necessary security measures in the churches in which they were housed.
The museum of modern art "Vittoria Colonna" in Pescara, inaugurated with the exhibition dedicated to Chagall, is housed in an architectural complex originally designed by the architect Eugenio Montuori in the 50s, and now completely renovated and technologically adapted to the new exhibition functions by the architect Gaetano Colleluori. The museum, located in the green area of Piazza I Maggio, is proposed as an exhibition center and the main place of cultural and tourist attraction.