The National Museum of Abruzzo, MUNDA, awaiting the restoration of the 16th century Castle, reopened its doors at the temporary headquarters of the former slaughterhouse of L'Aquila in Borgo Rivera in front of the monumental Fountain of 99 Spouts. The museum, reopened in December 2015, is now housed in the former slaughterhouse, a building of the '30s of the twentieth century, renovated with cutting-edge anti-seismic criteria. Part of the collection comes from the castle of L'Aquila (1534-1567), a grandiose building built by the Spanish on the site of a smaller fortress.
The Museum is a laboratory where visitors are invited to interact and touch with their own hands the naturalistic and archaeological finds that tell the history of the Majella territory and highlight its floro-faunal characteristics. The protagonist of the nature section is Abruzzo chamois: here are illustrated the environments in which he lives, his physical and behavioral characteristics, the various phases of the "chamois operation", which allowed the reintroduction on the Majella.
Naturalistic and Archaeological Museum dedicated to Paolo Barrasso, a well-known biologist who died on the Morrone mountain in 1991; here the most significant aspects of Majella are illustrated, thanks to the naturalistic section, which reproduces the different environments of the Park, and to the archaeological one, which collects finds from different periods.
Next to the Museum is the Study Centre, which has a conference room, an updated naturalistic library, a video library, a diatheque and a scientific laboratory.
The Tostiano Institute, established in 1983, is an institution of musical commitment and deals with the dissemination of the life and works of the composer Francesco Paolo Tosti (Ortona, April 9, 1846 - Rome, December 2, 1916), other musicians from Abruzzo, and more generally vocal chamber music and other areas of musical culture. It is housed in the Renaissance Palazzo Corvo, which also houses the Archivio Francesco Paolo Tosti - Museo Musicale d'Abruzzo, inaugurated on 9 April 1994.
The Michetti Museum (Mu.Mi.) is located in Piazza San Domenico adjacent to the homonymous building dating back to the first half of the seventeenth century in the heart of the upper district of the city of Francavilla al Mare. The Museum, named after the artist Francesco Paolo Michetti, who lived most of his life in Francavilla from 1873 to 1929, the year of his death, is structured on two levels. In the lower room are exposed, one in front of the other, two original paintings by Francesco Paolo Michetti: 'The Snakes' and 'Storpi'.
Established at the behest of the municipal administration of Città S. Angelo in 1998 (former tobacco factory). Since 2001, the institution has pursued the aim of keeping the pre-existing space open at all times, as a laboratory for experimentation and research, useful for all the possible expressions of contemporary visual art.
The place has become a meeting and working place for the artists who, for the first time in the summer of 2003, exhibited a collection that is the synthesis of their work in this workshop.
The International Museum of Women in Art -MIDA - is the only one of its kind in Italy and Europe. It is located in the municipality of SCONTRONE, a small village of 200 inhabitants, and has so far supplied 100 works of painting, sculpture and photography by one hundred artists from 35 countries around the world.
The Museum, the only one of its kind in Abruzzo, is housed in the Ducal Castle of Palena, a recently restored building dating back to the 11th century. It consists of three sections: the Knowledge Room, the Aventine Room, the Palena Room.
The Museum contains more than a thousand objects: most of them date back to the period between the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth, but some wooden artifacts also date back to the eighteenth century. It summarizes and enhances the peculiar and original aspects of the forestry and pastoral civilization and of the craftsmanship of the Teramo area.
The museum, an old idea of the Roccacaramanico Association founded in 1981 with the primary aim of restoring life to the ancient village depopulated by the total emigration of the inhabitants and destined to complete ruin, is in the name of the girls from Albignasego and Saonara (PD), Diana Olivetti and Tamara Gobbo, who spent their holidays in a nearby farm and August 20, 1997, during a trip to Morrone, were attacked by a Macedonian shepherd.