Composed of two floors: the lower floor, linked to the Middle Ages, by the architecture, sculptures and frescoes, the upper room, divided into themed rooms, including the jewelry, the picture gallery, the wooden sculpture, the room codes and the room vestments bishop.
Opened to the public in December 2003, it is one of the most important sacred art museums in the region and a real treasure trove of works of art. It is located in the large rooms adjacent to the Cathedral of St. Thomas the Apostle, a building of early Christian origin renovated in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
In the museum have found significant evidence of centuries of history of the Ortonese church: paintings, sculptures, goldsmiths, sacred vestments, votive offerings and wooden furniture from the Cathedral and churches of the City.
The Diocesan Museum of Lanciano is one of the most important museums of sacred art in the Abruzzo region. Opened to the public in 2002 by Monsignor Carlo Ghidelli, the museum is the result of a meticulous research of ancient works, curated by Monsignor Enzio D'Antonio, at the archiepiscopal seat and the various churches of Lanciano, some of which have been deconsecrated for centuries. The museum is located inside the Seminary building, 17th century building, seat of the Archdiocese.
The Civic Didactic Museum of Medieval and Renaissance musical instruments was inaugurated on August 12, 2000. Currently the Museum has five rooms, at the Doge's Palace, with a collection of 52 "reconstructions", where we find instruments used from the eighth century AD to the end of the sixteenth century. It should be noted that the educational term means that the instruments of this Museum are not original but rather reconstructed on historical bases, iconographic for the medieval ones, iconographic or copied from originals for the Renaissance ones.
In 2004 was inaugurated the Museum of Popular Traditions, located in the town hall, named after Prof. Alfonso M. Nola, famous anthropologist, who died in 1997, honorary citizen of Cocullo for his long attendance and studies conducted on the traditional Feast of San Domenico - Rite of the Serpari.
The central space of the Museum is dedicated to the Multimedia Exhibition, realized by the publishing house Sinapsi, curated by Prof. Valerio Petrarca.
Important ethnographic collection including the costumes of various towns of Abruzzo, products of artistic craftsmanship, including ceramics of Castelli, ex-voto, tools and tools for domestic use and for the work of sheep-farming. It also houses the finds ordered by the local Archeoclub relating to prehistoric material, Italic objects, including a bronze helmet, and material from the Roman era.
The Castle of Nocciano, exhibition center and cultural production, opens to different fields of expression: from visual arts to literature, from theater to cinema, music to new technologies. A small kingdom of images, sounds and words, his activity revolves around the Permanent Exhibition of Contemporary Artists of Abruzzo (MARCA).
The Museum is a place of study and documentation on the phenomenon of transhumant sheep-farming, a key sector of the local economy and of the whole of Abruzzo until the recent past. Interesting explanatory panels illustrate synthetically, but with great didactic effectiveness, the various historical, social and cultural aspects and the systems of life and work.
The exhibits bear witness to the main productive activities (production of wool and cheese), the forms of equipment of men and animals, the organization of temporary shelters.
Founded in 1993 by a group of volunteers, it is located in the historic centre of the town in a building dating back to 1901, originally intended as a municipal abattoir. It was called the Wool Museum because wool was, between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, a source of primary wealth for this as for other towns in mountain Abruzzo. The Museum collects the tools and documents of contemporary pastoral culture (1850-1930) and the historical memory of the work and daily life of the inhabitants of Scanno and the Sagittario Valley.
The War Museum for Peace, inaugurated in 2001, is located inside the enchanting Martucci Palace, a fortified building of the seventeenth century, transformed into a noble residence during the eighteenth century.