The Grotta delle Farfalle Nature Reserve, established in 2007, includes a surface of 510 hectares in the territories of San Vito Chietino and Rocca San Giovanni. The Reserve protects a series of ditches furrowed by short stretches of torrents that flow hidden between the rich riparian vegetation and some natural caves that, during the Second World War, offered safe havens to partisans and displaced people.
The Missionary Ethnographic Museum, set up thanks to the illustrious fellow citizen Father Salvatore Zavarella, who handed over important finds from every continent free of charge, was set up by the Municipality with the financial assistance of the local Cooperative Credit Bank.
The Colella Palace, restored, houses our museum that collects relics of the Franciscan Missions in the world.
The Polo Museale Santo Spirito is the museum of the City of Lanciano in the province of Chieti, houses the Archaeological Museum and 2 rooms for temporary exhibitions. The archaeological museum of Lanciano, located in the restored fourteenth-century monastic complex of Santo Spirito, one of the oldest buildings in the city, preserves finds of exceptional archaeological value, evidence of the history of the city and its territory over thousands of years.
The Cultural Pole of Santa Chiara, located in the former convent of the same name, includes the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Municipal Picture Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, the Diocesan Library. The institution was born within the project of restoration, reuse and enhancement of the monumental heritage "Sulmona city of art", activated by the Superintendence for Environmental, Architectural, Artistic and Historical Heritage for Abruzzo, which has allowed the recovery of some of the most significant historical and artistic emergencies of the city and its surroundings.
It is a significant set of paintings fired by Theophilus Patini to form the core of the Municipal Art Gallery, which, - thanks to the insights and commitment lavished in the late eighties by the Mayor Ing. Syro Piero Gargano and the decisive operations conducted with ancient passion for art by the Mayor Adv. Roberto Fiocca from the nineties to the present moment when the continuation of the project finds the full and convinced support of the new Mayor, Ing.
The Civic Gallery of Modern Art has been set up in the Orsini-Colonna Castle and exhibits sculptures, paintings and graphics acquired since 1949, the year of the first Marsicana exhibition of painting that would later be called the Premio Avezzano. Over the years the collection has been greatly enriched and today it is possible to admire the works of numerous artists. On the floor below the Pinacoteca is hosted a Multipurpose Room.
The creation of the Pinacoteca Comunale di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea is closely linked to the history of the "Premio di Arte Contemporanea città di Sulmona", founded thirty years ago with the establishment of the Circolo d'Arte e Cultura "Il Quadrivio". From this event springs the essential nucleus of the Pinacoteca Comunale which also makes use of about ten works already owned by the Municipality, including two pieces of great value: "The portrait of Panfilo Serafini" by Teofilo Patini and "La scannese", marble by Costantino Barbella.
The historic Palazzo d'Avalos houses, in addition to the Museum, also the Municipal Picture Gallery. On the second floor, the large rooms of the Marchesale apartment house the works of Filippo, Nicola, Francesco Paolo and Giuseppe Palizzi. The exhibition allows us to retrace the salient moments of the artistic formation of these 4 great brothers who, with their art, have honored their City of origin and Abruzzo. In addition to the works of Palizzi, we find the paintings of Gabriele Smargiassi, Francesco Paolo Michetti and Giulio Aristide Sartorio.
The Pinacoteca Civica is housed in a neoclassical building located in the Villa Comunale. Already the seat of the Provincial Economic Society, it was then purchased by the Municipality and in 1930 adapted to house a Museum. Rebuilt in 1958 and 1979, it was finally renovated in 1996.
The Picture Gallery is located in the 16th century Palazzo Farnese and houses works by Michele Cascella (1892-1989), a native of Ortona, his brother Thomas (1890-1968) and his father Basil (1860-1950). Michele Cascella has one of the most important collections (53 works) documenting more than eighty years of activity of the painter