The Campotosto Lake is an artificial reservoir obtained from the barrier of the Fucino stream by means of two dams and the consequent flooding of the peatland region between the Gran Sasso and the Monti della Laga. It is located at an altitude of 1313 metres, has a characteristic "V" shape, has an area of 1400 hectares, a perimeter of 42 km and an average depth of 13 m. It is part of the hydroelectric plants of the Vomano Valley.
The Franciscan presence in the city had to be quite early and linked at first to a small church, Santa Maria extra muros, which a fifteenth-century document says consecrated in 1233. Unfortunately, nothing is visible from this primitive construction: the church was radically rebuilt and dedicated to Saint Francis in the 13th century.
The Hermitage of the Holy Spirit in Majella is the largest and most famous of all the Mother Mountain, a small Monastery built among the rocks. Although it has undergone several transformations over the centuries, it still retains the charm due to its wonderful position in the homonymous valley.
Rock church of the XII/XIII century (rottoes and hermitage) opens at 1,266 m asl at the foot of a cliff that overlooks the Fourth Great, on the slopes of Mount Pizzalto, in front of Colle Riina where Lombard tombs have been found.
Today it is reflected in the clear waters of the reservoir of the same name created in the 1920s with a dam on the Sagittarius. The hermitage consists of a cave, the sacred speco, where the Holy Taumaturge found himself in penance around the year 1000, and the church in front of the portico.
It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone, overlooking the Peligna Valley. Here Pietro Angelerio, future Pope Celestine V, spent much of his life.
Also known as the Hermitage of Fra' Nicola, it has a modest appearance and does not show the sacred character of the construction. The tiny little church, built by the last Hermit of Gran Sasso, which spent its days there in meditation, is almost set in the rock, leaning against a wall that rises just over the hamlet of Pretara, along the Ruzzo stream.
The hermitage of Sant'Onofrio is located a few km from the centre of Serramonacesca, in the Majella National Park, at about 725 meters above sea level. The small complex, Romanesque in style, was built by the Benedictine monks under a large rocky rock, probably as a place of spiritual retreat for the monks of the nearby Abbey of San Liberatore a Majella.
It is one of the most spectacular and famous Celestinian Hermitages of Majella. The building stretches out in a dry landscape, under a rocky ridge that completely covers it, so much so that it camouflages in the rock. It was built in a period prior to the year 1000 and later restored by Celestino V around 1250 and used by him for the many Lenten to which he was subjected.
It rises on Mount Porrara at almost 1300 m asl, on a cliff that makes the building impenetrable on three sides. It was probably the first place where Pietro Angeleri lived as a hermit before taking his vows. Here the future Pope Celestine V, once reached Majella, stopped in a cave and began the hermit's life.