In the high Abruzzo, very close to the Marche region, Civitella del Tronto rises: it has always been a borderland and, in particular, a sentinel time of the Kingdom of Naples between the Kingdom of Naples and the Papal State. The village finds its interest in the fortunate geographical position, combined with the monumental memories of its bright past, and enjoys an enviable glimpse that can put together the view of the Gran Sasso d'Italia and the nearby Adriatic Sea.
The Cultural Pole of Santa Chiara, located in the former convent of the same name, includes the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Municipal Picture Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, the Diocesan Library. The institution was born within the project of restoration, reuse and enhancement of the monumental heritage "Sulmona city of art", activated by the Superintendence for Environmental, Architectural, Artistic and Historical Heritage for Abruzzo, which has allowed the recovery of some of the most significant historical and artistic emergencies of the city and its surroundings.
It is a significant set of paintings fired by Theophilus Patini to form the core of the Municipal Art Gallery, which, - thanks to the insights and commitment lavished in the late eighties by the Mayor Ing. Syro Piero Gargano and the decisive operations conducted with ancient passion for art by the Mayor Adv. Roberto Fiocca from the nineties to the present moment when the continuation of the project finds the full and convinced support of the new Mayor, Ing.
The Civic Gallery of Modern Art has been set up in the Orsini-Colonna Castle and exhibits sculptures, paintings and graphics acquired since 1949, the year of the first Marsicana exhibition of painting that would later be called the Premio Avezzano. Over the years the collection has been greatly enriched and today it is possible to admire the works of numerous artists. On the floor below the Pinacoteca is hosted a Multipurpose Room.
The Pinacoteca Civica is housed in a neoclassical building located in the Villa Comunale. Already the seat of the Provincial Economic Society, it was then purchased by the Municipality and in 1930 adapted to house a Museum. Rebuilt in 1958 and 1979, it was finally renovated in 1996.
The Picture Gallery is located in the 16th century Palazzo Farnese and houses works by Michele Cascella (1892-1989), a native of Ortona, his brother Thomas (1890-1968) and his father Basil (1860-1950). Michele Cascella has one of the most important collections (53 works) documenting more than eighty years of activity of the painter
The first nucleus of the exhibition was inaugurated at the "G. d'Annunzio" University in 1994 at Palazzo De Pasquale. Currently, the University Museum, formerly the Museum of the History of Biomedical Sciences, is located in the Palazzo "Arnaldo Mussolini", in the historical centre. In its specificity, it contributes to characterize the "G. d'Annunzio" University, constituting a "place of memory" and an exhibition space dedicated to the biological and medical aspects that emerge from archaeological, medical, anthropological and paleontological research.
The MUSPAC has a permanent collection that includes works by international artists such as Joseph Beuys, Jannis Kounellis, Fabio Mauri, Mario Merz, Michelangelo Pistoletto, Giulio Paolini and Italian artists of Abruzzo origin (see permanent collection).
The museum also has a multimedia library and a projection room where films, documentaries and art videos are shown on a daily basis.
Museum activities also include educational workshops, internships, conferences and seminars.