Skip to main content
x
Lago di Secinaro - Secinaro (AQ)

Along the provincial road that connects Rocca di Mezzo to Secinaro, in an isolated but easily accessible area, nestled in a small plateau at about 1100 metres above sea level, on the slopes of the majestic ridge of Monte Sirente, the first meteoric impact crater was discovered in Italy. The visitor is presented as a small circular lake, about 140 meters in diameter and accompanied by 17 smaller craters.

Lago di Scanno (AQ)

The Scanno lake is the result of a huge landslide that dammed the Sagittario valley creating the most visited and suggestive lake in Abruzzo. The heart shaped lake is situated in a extended basin at 922 meter above sea level between the historical villages Scanno and Villalago, at the feet of the Montagna Grande, on the border of the Abruzzo National Park. The steep rocky slope of the Monte Genzana Reserve overlooks the pond from east. The Scanno lake reaches a maximum water depth of 36 meters.

Lago di San Domenico - Villalago (AQ)

Lake San Domenico is located in the upper Sagittario Valley, in the territory of the municipality of Villalago, in a fantastic natural environment, ideal for relaxation. This is an artificial reservoir created by the barrier of the Sagittarius river, built after the Second World War. Its waters, with their intense emerald green colour, are rich in fish fauna and above all in brown trout.

Lago di Penne (PE)

The Penne Lake is an artificial lagoon created in 1965 through a barrier dam on the Tavo river. The average depth is 10 meter and the surface is 70 hectars. The lake is located near the south-eastern side of the Gran Sasso in the district of Penne. Since 1987 the area is the location of the Natural Reserve of the Penne Lake. The Reserve is an innovative laboratory for research and environment education and for technological application. The Reserve plays also an important role in the protection of the otter and the wild duck. The best periods of the year to visit it are spring or autumn.

Lago di S. Angelo o di Casoli - Casoli (CH)

The lake of Casoli is an enchanting basin obtained with the barrier of the crystal clear waters of the Aventino river, in a valley dominated by the rugged Majella massif, whose rocky walls overhang in the water. The banks are sufficiently accessible. Along its banks there are numerous resting areas from which you can admire the south-eastern side of the Majella massif in all its grandeur. The presence of winds is almost constant in the area. 

Lago di Bomba (CH)

The Bomba Lake is situated in the Sangro Valley, 30 km far from the sea and is 7 km long, 1,5 km large and 36 meters deep. The pond has been created blocking the course of the Sangro River through a dirt floor dam; this was the first example of dam created with this technique in Europe in 1962. Different species of fishes live there and a rich vegetation surrounds the banks of the lake. In its water live many fish species such as chubs, crucian carps, carps, european perches, eels and trouts.

Lago di Barrea (AQ)

In the heart of the Abruzzo National Park and among the pristine peaks of the Apennines, there is the Lake of Barrea, which overlooks three delightful villages: Barrea, Villetta Barrea and Civitella Alfedena.

Lago di Pantaniello - Barrea (AQ)

Natural reservoir of morainic origin, elliptical in shape, about 150 m long and 200 m wide. It is located at an altitude of 1818 m., northeast of Mount Greco and is the second largest lake in the Apennines. Since 1972, it has been part of the State Nature Reserve Lake Pantaniello. Gammarus Lacustris, a small freshwater crustacean whose origin dates back to the last glaciation, lives in its waters. The only fish species is Tinca. Cars are not allowed to enter the protected area and hunting and fishing are prohibited.

Riserva Naturale Lago di Campotosto - Campotosto (AQ)

The Campotosto Lake is an artificial reservoir obtained from the barrier of the Fucino stream by means of two dams and the consequent flooding of the peatland region between the Gran Sasso and the Monti della Laga. It is located at an altitude of 1313 metres, has a characteristic "V" shape, has an area of 1400 hectares, a perimeter of 42 km and an average depth of 13 m. It is part of the hydroelectric plants of the Vomano Valley.

Chiostro di San Francesco - Tagliacozzo (AQ)

The Franciscan presence in the city had to be quite early and linked at first to a small church, Santa Maria extra muros, which a fifteenth-century document says consecrated in 1233. Unfortunately, nothing is visible from this primitive construction: the church was radically rebuilt and dedicated to Saint Francis in the 13th century.

Subscribe to