On the border with Marche region, Martinsicuro is the first of seven pearls to welcome you to the "garden coast" of Teramo. It is an established tourist, commercial and bathing centre of Abruzzo and, although it was recently established as an autonomous municipality (1963), it boasts ancient origins. Archaeological excavations have allowed the identification, on the hilly complex above the river Tronto, of a large proto-historical village dating from the Bronze Age to the first Iron Age (1000-800 BC).
The church, originally dedicated to San Martino, was built in 1738; subsequently, following a miraculous event that ended a catastrophic drought, it was consecrated to the Crowned Madonna. In 1860 it was enlarged and the Capuchin monastery was annexed.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna dell' Elcina is located on a rocky hill, a short distance from the old town centre. The local stone church, in its present form, is recently built but of ancient foundation and has a remarkable historical, artistic and religious value for the whole valley.
The Sanctuary preserves a miraculous image of the Madonna and Child (stone bas-relief). It was erected at the end of the 16th century in the place where, according to tradition, the effigy of the Virgin, transported from distant lands, became so heavy that it could no longer be removed.
In the lower part of the village of Cocullo stands the famous Sanctuary of San Domenico, rebuilt between the late nineteenth and early twentieth century on the site of an older church, which was built in the seventeenth century. It has a rectangular plan with a beautiful Renaissance portal reassembled on its side.
All the mountainous and rural Abruzzo refers to his devotion to the Madonna della Libera, Protector of the Peligna Valley, whose cult developed around an image of the Virgin miraculously found in 1456 and attributed to the liberation of the territory from the plague.
The sanctuary and the convent, built in 1466, stand on a hill in front of the village, a short distance from the road that leads to the center of Civitella. Their foundation is attributed to San Giacomo della Marca; their history is linked to that of the village, not only for religious and cultural aspects, but also for civil and military ones.
The foundation of the Convent according to the legend would be linked to the presence of St. Francis; for centuries it was entrusted to the conventuals who had to abandon it after the suppression of religious orders by the French. In 1847 it was entrusted to the Passionist fathers.
The Sanctuary of San Camillo is located in the city centre, next to the convent he built. Among the undisputed protagonists of the Abruzzo spirituality, he was the founder of the Order of Clerics Regular Ministers of the Sick and is patron of the sick, hospitals, doctors and health workers.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna of Splendour was built on the spot where the Virgin, on April 22, 1550, appeared in a luminous cloud to a peasant named Bertoldino. Also on the hill came a miraculous spring, still alive.