Skip to main content
x

San Demetrio ne' Vestini

Located on the slopes of a hill in m. 662 m asl, 17 km from L'Aquila, in the Valle dell'Aterno between the Gran Sasso d'Italia and Monte Cagno, is formed by the merger of seven hamlets called "ville": Cardabello, Cardamone, San Giovanni Battista, Collarano, Villa Grande , Cavantoni, Colle, probably originated from the settlement of the populations coming from the ancient cities of Aveja and Peltuinum. Its foundation dates back to the X-XI centuries.
Known already in the Middle Ages, with the name of "Pagus chrementes" and later as Demeter, it took its current name in 1736 after the opening of the seventeenth-century church dedicated to San Demetrio, martyr of Thessalonica, who lived in the last part of the III century. In the 1400s it resisted Braccio da Montone and hosted Alfonso d'Aragona who was about to attack the castle of Fagnano. It was at the center of the interests of various feudal lords: from the Ardinghelli, to the Sinizzo, to the Antonelli, to the Saverio, to the Pignatelli, to the duke Arcamone. Testimony of its long history is the historical center, Palazzo Cappelli di Torano (eighteenth century), which belonged to the Duke Ariamone, the church of S. Giovanni (XII-XIII century), mentioned in a bull that Pope Alexander III sent in 1178 to bishop of Forcona, the church of S. Demetrico (seventeenth century), built on the ruins of a temple dedicated, probably, to the goddess Vesta, the church of St. Mary of the Recommended (sec XIX - XX), with interesting works inside art: on the first and second altars on the right, the Purgatorio and S. Carlo Borromeo, by Teofilo Patini; on the first and second altar on the left, Conception and 4 Saints and Guardian Angel by the same author; on the high altar there is a altarpiece by Domenico Caldara, with Our Lady of the Recommended with S. Demetrio and an Angel; on the left side of the cruise, Visitation, canvas of 1663 by Luca Giordano; on the right side, Nativity, of an unknown seventeenth century; on the left wall, the Madonna dei Raccomandati, a 16th century fresco belonging to the primitive church; in the sacristy, silver pyx (1688) and 18th century chalice. Today the country is a naturalistic tourism destination with Lake Linizzo (which allows the practice of sport fishing); the Stiffe Caves, a notable example of underground karst, have stalactites and stalagmites of considerable size, lakes, rapids and waterfalls, and offer an enchanting spectacle; the Colle Calvario and the Acquatt Springs.

Provincia: L'Aquila

CAP: 67028

Prefisso: 0862

Altitudine: 662

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.2892088, 13.553942

A short distance from the centre of San Demetrio ne' Vestini, there is the small Lake of Sinizzo which, thanks to its emerald green waters, is considered the "beach of L'Aquila". Ideal place to spend a day in full contact with nature, immersing yourself in its bathing waters and camping with the tent.

Grotte di Stiffe is one of central Italy’s most famous karst cave. The entrance is located in the rocky side near San Demetrio Ne’ Vestini. The guided tour develops for 700 meters and a river runs through the which water comes from the many sinkholes located in the karst plateau of Rocca di Mezzo.