The shrine is mentioned, first and foremost, in the papal decrees of Lucio III (1183) and Clemente III (1188), then also in a papal bull of Onorio III (1223).
It rises on Mount Porrara at almost 1300 m asl, on a cliff that makes the building impenetrable on three sides.
Also known as the Hermitage of Fra' Nicola, it has a modest appearance and does not show the sacred character of the construction.
It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone, overlooking the Peligna Valley.
The Hermitage of the Holy Spirit in Majella is the largest and most famous of all the Mother Mountain, a small Monastery built among the rocks.